Friday, June 15, 2012

The Fall

H.M.Craig-  "The Fall"

"The Fall", 30 x 30", acrylic on canvas



I have a box of Breyer horses from my childhood. When I was little, I was sure that I was going to be either a horse or an artist. My family saw my passion and gave me Breyer horses.  I used them for drawing and playing. Their hooves, ears, and eyes were carefully coated in clear nail polish for shine. I rarely did my nails, but the horses' hooves were fabulous.

My father took me for rides on a horse named Romeo. We didn't have a saddle, and neither did the owners, so I either rode bareback or with a saddle pad. I was very little then, but I had no fear.

When I was older and living in Europe, I took English riding lessons. My teacher assigned me a rather large dappled white horse named Klarchen. She was sweet, but didn't want to move much, which I guess was good because she didn't tear off through the fields with me holding on for dear life.  I also had the experience of riding an Arabian that excelled in Dressage (he bounced a lot).  I love riding, but I'm not good at it. I fell of. A lot. But I always got back on.

Cantering through the fields and forest lanes will always be a good memory for me.

A progress shot:
HMCraig The Fall s

No comments: