Monday, June 21, 2010

Art Committee


I now belong to an Art Committee that selects and puts on shows of artworks by disabled people. My first meeting was at the beginning of June. The table was surrounded by intelligent, compassionate, and talented people. This feels right, almost like I'm on a different road than I intended to go on, but the journey seems richer... as though I am taking Route 20 across the United States as opposed to one of the quick but bland interstate highways.   



I got to the meeting by myself using public transportation. I am getting the hang of it, and feel happy about my sort-of independence. It still takes a lot out of me, as I am quite tired at the end of the day.  The meetings, they're only once a month... so, that's good. I am not sure if I would be able to handle more.

We (the committee) are putting together a large show that will celebrate an anniversary in September.  I will fill you all in on the details as the Summer progresses.  I think it will be quite an event, and for me, I am happy to be part of something that inspires and challenges. I am working with a team that doesn't see my disability as a problem, and that is a wonderful thing.

No comments: