Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Caregiving

As I write this, our 15 year old collie is laying on her bed, relaxing for her sleepy-times. She is a sweet dog who prefers being petted over play time (but still likes play time), and is insistent that she is still a puppy, though she has lost the ability to bounce back like a puppy.

Over the course of the last few days, we have wondered over symptoms that were increasingly worrying. It is no secret that her hips are failing her, or that her eyesight is not what it once was. She started having more issues with balance and her eyes are moving back and forth like she is in a moving train car watching the passing fields and trees.  Her inability to walk steadily has resulted in her laying on the living room rug with me laying next to her, petting her, talking to her. I won't lie... I've been sobbing, but I try to hide it, because I don't want her worried about me.

Today, at the vet again, we have arrived at a diagnosis that makes sense. She has doggie vertigo. Everything in her world is moving, spinning, dipping, and diving. She is unsure of her footing, and when she does stand, it is as if she is saying that she has conquered this piece of ground...she holds tight.  I can see in her expression that she is worried and scared. I don't want her to be worried or scared.

So, we do what we can to help her. Words of praise. Hugs. Special treats (banana pieces). Medicine. Time to recover. I think the biggest thing we can do for her is to understand and be there.  Isn't that true of everyone?

No comments: