Friday, February 19, 2010

Documentary- Wipeout

This is a documentary about the experiences of brain injury survivors.  This site also heavily promotes helmets*.

http://wipeout.knowledgenetwork.ca/wipeout.html

There are other videos on the site. I have just finished Chris Tutin's video blog (intro). In it, Chris says that "everybody's brain injury isn't the same, it's different".  We're kinda like snowflakes that way.  While Chris has physical limitations, his intelligence is fine.  My brain injury is different in the respect that I don't have much physical limitation (my balance is off), but my cognitive skills are lacking in some areas.

 Chris has a good sense of humor and a willingness to inform others of what his abilities and limitations are. I think you have to have a good sense of humor, for life in general, but especially when you are presented with hard circumstances.

*before my brain injury, I was a recreational triathlete. Before I got on my bike, I always had my helmet on. It never ceased to amaze me how many people were riding without helmets. Whole families out for a nice bike ride and not a single helmet (including children!!).  I have also known people who said that helmets looked too dorky to wear. There are some pretty nicely designed helmets out there...

No comments: