Sunday, February 28, 2010

Everybody Gets Knocked Down

 

I am/was a recreational triathlete. I have also been caving, sky diving, mountain biking, rock climbing, hiking, canoeing, acro-yoga-ing, waterfall jumping.... I very much like to be doing something. I'm not competitive, I just like to have the experience, and to encourage others to try.  Running, swimming, biking... some of my best Summer memories are from doing these things.  One Summer's day years ago, my brother and I were deciding how to spend the daylight hours-we decided to ride our bikes up a prominent local "hill" (700 ft elevation gain). It was hard, but it was a fantastic ride and we enjoyed every minute of it.

When I got my injury, it was when I was doing a short training run for a Half-Ironman triathlon. I had finished multiple triathlon and running races before the incident. I went on paceline rides with a cycling group.  I had even gotten a finisher's medal for a marathon (I'm not fast, but I finish!).

 photo by emples on flickr

After the injury, it took me a while to come to the conclusion that I was not going to be at the start line in Rhode Island for the triathlon. It could endanger my health, and the health of other athletes (what if I had crashed?). It broke my heart. The registration was pretty expensive, and non-refundable, so I decided to go to packet pick up to at least get the T-Shirt to remember all the work I had put into the race. This plan was not very well thought out, and I sobbed uncontrollably in the parking garage on packet pick up day, surrounded by hopeful people and their beautiful racing cycles.  For the remaining summer, I would be hit with sadness when I saw someone running or riding, my inner voice whispering that I had to stay put on the porch.  When I saw a group of cyclists, I would wish them a good ride. I couldn't enjoy the gentle breeze, smooth pavement, dappled sunlight, and smells of barbecue; but hoped somebody else did.


Now that I am slowly getting better, I have a little hope.  Maybe I can go do a lap in the sparkling waters of Walden pond. Maybe I can go on some gentle summer road rides. Maybe get wet-suited up for a sprint tri this year. Maybe a 5k. Who knows? Start small. Gain confidence. Have fun. We'll see.

I saw this Nike commercial yesterday.  I won't lie when I tell you that it touches me.



and...Lance is in it. Lance always makes my day, offers hope. He smiles with his dead Elvis grin and tells you he can race again.

The song in the ad is by The Hours and is titled "Ali in the Jungle". It's title references Muhammed Ali.
Some lyrics:

It's, not, where you are, It's where you're going,
Where are you going?
And it's, not, about the things you've done, it's what you're doing, now,
What are you doing, now? 

**
Everybody gets knocked down,
How quick are you gonna' get up?
Just how are you gonna' get up?

Like Ali in the jungle,
Like Nelson in jail,
Like Simpson on the mountain,
Well with odds like that, they were bound to fail
Like Hannah in the darkness,
Like Adam's in the dark,
Like Ludwig Van, how I loved that man, well the guy went deaf and didn't give a f*ck, no... 

No comments: