Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Goings On

HMCraig "Clementines and Blue"
HMCraig, Clementines and Blue, 40x60, acrylic on canvas

I've been busy these past few days.

Today, I learned that Clementines and Blue was accepted into Cambridge Art Association's Northeast Prize Show. It was juried by Cheryl Brutvan, the Curator of Contemporary Art, Norton Museum of Art.

The opening reception will be Thursday, May 20th, 6-8 pm; awards at 7 pm

And... I was encouraged to become an artist member with the Marblehead Arts Association. It is a jurying process, so I had to bring 5 pieces to Marblehead today so some of their current members could check out my work in person and decide whether I'm the right stuff or not. The Art Association have been extremely kind and encouraging to me.  While judging goes on today, the results won't be out for a few days, I'm told. I will let you all know what happens.

WIP Delphiniums 30x40, acrylic on canvas

And... I recently finished the delphinium painting I was working on (it is now named "Oh, my" after reading a touching passage in a Kurt Vonnegut novel, which follows). The image with this post is still a WIP image, because I forgot to take a photo of it before it was whisked off to Marblehead. I will post a finished photo.


"She did not have enough breath left to make her vocal cords buzz. She could only mover her lips noiselessly. 
Here is all she had to say about death: "Oh my, oh my."
****
  Like all Earthlings at the point of death, Mary Young sent faint reminders of herself to those who had known her. She released a small cloud of telepathic butterflies, and one of these brushed the cheek of Dwayne Hoover, nine miles away.
   Dwayne heard a tired voice from somewhere behind his head, even though no one was back there. It said this to Dwayne: "Oh my, oh my."

 -Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

No comments: