Sunday, May 9, 2010

MTV's True Life

True Life is a show on MTV. It's the only show I'll watch on the station, simply because there is some learning to be done. There are episodes that chronicle young people living their lives and navigating multiple obstacles like moving to another place for love, dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and getting a transplant. There are heavy shows, there are lighter shows.

This is a recent episode titled "I Have A Traumatic Brain Injury"

MTV's True Life "I Have A Traumatic Brain Injury"

I haven't been able to watch it all the way through, yet.
I know that MTV has a large audience, and I hope that this reaches them (wear your helmets, don't drink and drive!!), and takes some fear away from interaction with disabled people.    ... I'm kinda tired right now(pill), so I'm not really as eloquent as I would like to be. Need to go to bed, good night!

*** update
like my friend John Byler said.. brain injuries are like fingerprints, they're all different. The people in this program do have some common traits (memory loss/problems/ mobility issues), but they each have a different battle. I think that something that unites us all is that we all seem to want to help others in the same situation.  Some parts are kind of hard to watch, but the support they are getting from their caregivers is wonderful, and there are improvements.

also, I think one of the guys in the program, Donny, is in my support group. If I remember, I will look for him next time at Spaulding (they showed the hospital quickly, then showed a room I am very familiar with).

No comments: