Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hyacinth- from Grief to Beauty

 

My hyacinths are starting to poke their lovely green leaves out of the soil. I love this time of year, when there is hope and expectation. The birds are beginning to fly back, and I smile when I hear their songs. There is always change afoot, experiences to look forward to.

Thinking about Hyacinths led me to some research. I have learned that the hyacinth was named after a greek god, Hyacinth, who died after he was struck in the head while playing discus. Apollo, who loved Hyacinth, was so distraught that he didn't allow Hades to claim Hyacinth, instead turning his spilled blood into flowers. Apollo's tears stained the petals with "ai, ai",  the sign of his grief.

So, from my head, I try to bring forth flowers and light and hope. I can only hope that someone somewhere sees half the beauty in my paintings as there is in my humble little garden, with the leaves just beginning to show. That's a pretty lofty goal, though.

No comments: