Saturday, March 6, 2010

Louis Comfort Tiffany

 

I remember going to the Corning Museum of Glass when I was in elementary school. We watched glassblowers. We saw contemporary glass objects. I think that sparked my fascination with glass. When I was in college, I started to use glass objects that I had found at yard sales in my paintings.  I took a class on how to create stained glass objects (I am not at all very good at it, but still have an interest).

A lot of people are familiar with Louis Comfort Tiffany and his studios for good reason. The  pieces are comprised of beautifully colored art nouveau designs that drew inspiration from nature.  Landscapes, flowers, insects, and religious scenes are all regular subjects. Before Tiffany, who would have really thought that insects such as dragonflies were appropriate motifs for household items

No comments: