Sunday, March 21, 2010

Out and About

My mom and sister have been in visiting. I have been acting as local tour guide, and we have been having fun (I'm also tiring them out).

I had gotten a phone call from Nalumon (one of the sweetest coolest people you'll ever meet) about volunteering for a local food pantry. The volunteering consisted of painting bowls that would later be used as a fund raiser for the food pantry. This had my name written all over it! So, we headed to Gloucester's Open Door food pantry in the morning, and sat with about 20 other people and decorated bowls while we chatted about the beautiful weather we are having.

Nalumon painted one bowl (multi-colored geometric... deceptively simple).My mother and sister painted two bowls apiece (flowers, polka dots, spatter, tie dye). I painted three (cherry blossoms, oriental poppies, butterfly).

a bowl by Kevin Ellis

After the bowl painting, we went to Alchemy and enjoyed wonderful food. We then went to Bearskin Neck in Rockport and did a little bit of shopping.   We found the Rockport Arts Association, and wandered through the galleries perusing the member artists' show.

Tired... we went home.   G, and our friend Bruser had been out rock climbing all day, and I was surprised to see that they weren't home yet.  They showed up shortly before sunset  and regaled us with tales of being 70 feet up a cliff face with water pouring down around them. 

We all had a lively dinner, followed by a rock climbing/birthday get-together at a friend's house around the block. I had not seen many of these people since August, as I have been holed up with my injury.  It's not that I didn't want to see them, it's that I didn't think I could. Rock climber parties tend to be very interesting events to begin with, but you add in a head injury and it is quickly overstimulating and mentally tiring. It was so nice to see friends. I got many good hugs and warm welcomes.   I did have to repeatedly go out on the porch where it was much quieter, but it was all-in-all.. very nice. I was happy. G and my sister took me home when I started to look frazzled, holding my hand when we crossed the street.

I have to get going now and start on today's adventures with my mom and sister!
Hope you all are having a wonderful Spring day!

No comments: